Saturday, June 30, 2012

A for Athens...

Yeah, we have arrived... and if you can believe I found this
sign posted on a hotel in the Athens Center Square
our first evening out!

June 29, 2012

Well, as you have probably guessed, we arrived without luggage!  Aaarrrggghhh!!!  But we were not going to allow that to spoil our trip.  We were originally scheduled to arrive 10:30 a.m but we got here at 2:30 p.m., so not too bad - considering our airport fiascos! ...but, I think we have both lost weight from all the running through the airports, so not a bad thing either :-D

We managed to get our lost luggage report filed and, Jimmy, the Gentleman at the Aegean Airlines counter (Oh, I forgot to tell you we changed Airlines in Munich); anyway, Jimmy assured us he would find our luggage and get it delivered to us.  He asked for the hotel name and address for the first night, which was the same for the 3rd night... so hopefully we would have it by day 3. (We are  elsewhere 2nd night, but if we get by 3rd night that is okay!)  Dennis seems to think "no problem, it will come";  but I am much more skeptical than he.  I began to think of all the stuff I didn't have... my electrical converter for one thing...and as you saw on the last blog -- my laptop battery was almost gone because I had no way to charge it!  We did stop and buy an iPhone charger, which I used in the Houston airport and was able to iChat with Ashley and can still do that here in Greece, as long as I have wi-fi -- pretty cool!  For those of you who don't know, it is kinda like texting but doesn't require data, so no roaming with iChat.

Another thing I miss, I was pretty stupid and separated and put my c-pap hose in the checked luggage only carrying the expensive portion the c-pap machine itself so it wouldn't be stolen... well, that was dumb not to have the hose or the plug converter... not doing me much good without the hose!  Oh well, I'm still alive...

We made our way to Avis Rental Car.  The guy at the car rental asked us if we wanted a Prius or a Mercedes... you can probably figure out which one we took -- Mercedes!

We managed to navigate our way to the hotel, and it was so nice that it wasn't raining and in the dark like in South Africa!  As we got near the hotel, we circled the block several times because our GPS kept sending us around the block... we finally just parked the car and began walking looking for this hotel we couldn't seem to find while driving!  Sure enough, there it was-- right there on that block we kept circling :-o
This is the whole frontage...
no wonder we missed it!

We got checked in at the Attalos Hotel and first thing we did was take a shower and I washed my underwear out with shampoo and dried them with the hair dryer that was provided.  After traveling for 2 days. we felt much better.. and yes, Lee Ann, I can get quite creative!  I said in my first blog of this travel that I brought some things I could just throw away as we went along... underwear was one of them; but, I really had not planned to throw "everything" away before we even got here!

After our shower, we went out for the evening, walked to the Center Square right by our hotel!  Lots was happening there...
People performed and everyone watched!
This mosque was one of the first things we saw
We then saw these ruins of Hadrian's Library undergoing renovations
More of Hadrian's Library
Again, Hadrian's Library
 I found this cat wondering through the grounds of the library...
loved his markings!
The Acropolis
We will have other pics, but was really cool to see this first thing!
More of the Athen's Center Square
Lots of "stuff" to buy!
Some of this might have "your" name on it!
Loved the character of this Greek man
He sat in a wheelchair, but he waved to me as I took his pic.
This woman had quite the head attire...
and she seemed to smoke her cigarette different than most!
Wait, maybe I caught her picking her nose, hmmm?
This was the back of her scarf...
figures the other lady walked by just as I took the picture.
I was going to take another pic... but she was gone!
I have few more pics of the eve, but I must get to bed for now.

We have had already another full day of ADVENTURE since arriving and blogging this post.  And I will say "adventure" really cannot begin to describe the way the 30th started!  We obviously have since bought an electrical converter and I am able to charge and use my computer and blog again...

Continued:  Greek Dinner



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...